Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Theism and Atheism

I've been discussing on several religion forums the religious implications of atheism. Whether atheism would be considered a religion or not.

The best point I have heard to date is that atheism is no more a religion than theism is. That's fair I think.

I find my purpose from within, in the way many atheist religions do, but I am a theist. I believe in the supernatural, an outside force, gods, goddesses, ghosts, spirits.

For a long time I was one of those people who would claim to be spiritual, but not religious. I guess the proper response should be, "I am a theist, but not religious."

Either way, neither is true anymore. I am very religious. Very much a theist. My religion however does not define my purpose. No, my purpose, perhaps, defines my religion.

My purpose is the pursuit of truth, knowledge. I am a gnostic.

No comments: