Sunday, May 25, 2008

To be or not to be....

I search for truth. I believe in truth. It is the foundation of my religion, my belief system, and my moral code.

How can truth be the foundation of a belief system? Where is the leap of faith? The leap of faith comes from believing that truth exists, that it is out there, and that it is knowable.

If we think of the stories of gods and such as metaphor and allegory, we can take the idea of the Holy Spirit as the metaphor for truth. Or if you believe in the Greek Pantheon it might be represented by Gaia, or the earth mother.

Almost all religions believe that the holy spirit, or a holy spirit, exists in all natural things. That includes us. God, or the holy spirit, or a goddess, or life force energy, etc. is in all of us. Therefore we must be capable of knowing truth from within.

Even for atheists out there, we can say that we come from the earth and return to the earth, so there is no reason we can't know the truths of the universe. If we are of the same material as the universe, we must be capable of comprehending universal truth. Physical laws, and such.

From truth, I get god. From truth, I get faith. And from truth I get strength, purpose, and drive.

I may not know it, I may never know it....but I can strive to discover it. I can strive to come as close to it as possible.

No comments: